During the holidays, there is joy in the air, so it’s hard not to smile as you attend family gatherings and pose for pictures with loved ones. This guide can help you keep your teeth white and bright so that you can smile more this season.
Here are five holiday drinks that can cause stains on your teeth:
- Coffee: Coffee has organic compounds that can turn your teeth yellow.
- Red wine: Red wine is very acidic. It can leave purple stains on the enamel.
- Cola: There is phosphoric acid in cola. It can make your teeth yellow or brown.
- Holiday fruit punch: Any fruity beverage will attract stains.
Tactics for Food
Certain foods can tarnish white teeth. Here are the culprits:
- Cranberry sauce: Cranberry sauce is a double threat. It can stain your teeth and weaken the enamel.
- Fruit pies: The filling in a fruit pie can stain teeth. This is especially true for blueberry, blackberry, and strawberry pies.
- Tomato-based dishes: Tomatoes are highly acidic. The pigments from a red tomato will stick to your teeth.
Holiday Tips for Preventing Stains
You can have white teeth without giving up your favorite foods. To get started, use these strategies.
Drink Beverages With a Straw
If you sip cola, coffee, or fruit juice through a straw, you’ll be less likely to stain your front teeth. Paper straws are portable and readily available, and they’re great for holiday parties.
Use a Portable Toothbrush on the Go
After you have a meal, food particles will linger on your teeth. Instead of only brushing at home, pack a toothbrush and practice good oral hygiene on the go.
All of these tips can help you prevent stains on your teeth, but professional teeth whitening is a great way to brighten your smile if your teeth have lost their natural white coloring already. Enhance your smile this holiday season at Atlantis Dental Roundhouse. Contact our clinic today, and schedule a teeth whitening appointment.